This summer has been a huge growth experience for me in a lot of ways. At the end of the spring, I started feeling that my stress and worry wasn’t just “normal mom stuff”. I realized quickly after many days of crying, that my system was off and that I was knee deep in depression and major anxiety.
A visit to my new PCP proved more stressful, and less helpful than I had hoped. A quick written prescription for an antidepressant did not go over well with my body, so I had to, as usual, figure this out on my own.
But you know, I am fully aware now, that I can DO HARD STUFF!! My brain is capable of healing, as is my body, so I embarked upon this journey with me at the helm!
There are many pieces to this puzzle, but just to give you an idea as to what I was doing to help repair the damage…
First, and foremost, I had to STOP DOING ALL THE THINGS!! I literally sat for days and days and days in order to get my system to quiet down! Then….
1.Early morning barefoot grounding; I spend anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes in the early morning sunlight with my bare feet in the grass, with my face to the sun to allow the bare sunlight into my retinas and onto my skin,
2. Daily journaling; morning always includes how I am feeling, my intentions, affirmations, and gratitude. Evening journals are just one favorite moment of the day,
3. Supplementation and nutrition tweaks; added B Complex with Vitamin C, Vitamin D3, some adrenal and thyroid support that I had gotten from Dr. Dan, fish oil, magnesium, daily electrolytes in my water, more fish weekly, tons of veggies daily, less coffee!!,
4. Yoga at the park; it was held at the town common and was FREE, so it was very beneficial to my body and brain. It was like an old friend who embraced me in a long, warm hug, and said “there you are!”
5. Walking, lots and lots of walking. Although my formerly healed Plantar Fasciitis came back with a vengeance (read=STRESS), so I could only do 15 minutes at a time some days, so I would break up multiple walks.
6. Leisurely hikes and simple nature time often, sometimes this was just sitting on my lawn under a tree,
7. Listening to music; music always heals me and this time is no exception,
8. Connecting with friends and reaching out for support. BIG ONE!! At a time where I am extremely lonely and need others, I was worried about reaching out, but once I did, it made a world of difference,
9. CBD Hemp Oil, this has helped my anxiety an unbelievable amount!!!! Not to mention help with my 2 month stint with insomnia! Wished I had found it sooner!,
10. Sage smudging and tuning into my spiritual side; remembering who I am,
11. Listening to podcasts that truly speak to me, and help me feel OK in my brain, as well as my body; everything is going to be alright! my fave right now is Emily Schromm’s Meathead Hippie Podcast! All things awesome, and totally ME!
12. Slowly down on EVERYTHING! the hardest to do; I was told I am “too damn efficient“, so trying to be less is hard. But it is helping me realize that not everything is urgent, and needs to be done now….BIG growth!
So, as you can see, or read, my summer has been different than most. I am owning my body and reframing who I am. I am interested in how the fall is going to go, Eli starts kindergarten next week, so my ME TIME just doubled by 20! Let the healing continue!
Onward and upward…
“An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. When life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means it’s going to launch you into something great. So just focus, and keep aiming.”